Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015, David Wright wrote:

dc_smarthost='smtp.suddenlink.net::587'

Syntax is correct. I've not tried that port. Must do so sometime.

I think we're learning here in this thread to avoid generalizations, but 587 is known as the "submit" port. I have had good luck with it.

The smarthost provided by your DSL provider (iirc, you said it's DSL, yes?) should accept whatever you send it, since you are both on the same wire. (h/t David)

Don't rely on it.

Absolutely. See above, re "generalization." <g> I've been fortunate in that my cable provider has never required any authentication on its smtp host as long as one is sending from one of their own connections. And as a rule I set up access to another smtp host just to get off their grid;

(I think the only emails I ever received on that address were BT's T&C changes. I certainly never used it for myself.)

Same here with Cox Cable ISP.

But, hey, we made it to the weekend!

--
I am not a loony.  Why should I be tarred with the epithet
'loony' merely because I have a pet halibut?  I've heard