Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

David Wright writes:
> I don't see what the issue is. "People" with different usernames
> send mail from this system.

Correct. After looking at what I posted, it is confusing. Let's
try again.

> Do you mean /etc/mailname? What's actually in there?

wb5agz.swbell.net

That should never show up on the remote end because this is the
host name that is locally defined and not on any DNS A record.

	The user ID for me on the local system is martin. The
user ID I registered on the smarthost was martin.m since martin
without anything else already belongs to another customer. If I
hope to send mail through smtp.suddenlink.net, it must see
martin.m@suddenlink.net plus the password also used to retrieve
pop3 mail and the retrieval does work.

> Do you mean the From: line in your email header? What are you typing
> in (or what is your mail client putting there) and where are you
> observing the changed version?

	The mainlog file displays the error that
smtp.suddenlink.net is reporting

2015-07-11 06:29:26 1ZDsyD-0001Rm-PO ** martin@shellworld.net R=smarthost
T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after
MAIL FROM:<martin@suddenlink.net> SIZE=1586: host smtp.suddenlink.net
[208.180.40.68]: 553 Authentication is required to send mail as
<martin@suddenlink.net>

I totally agree. That should have been martin.m@suddenlink.net.
That is where the wheels came off.

The smarthost sees martin@suddenlink.net and what it should see
in the From: line is martin.m@suddenlink.net
Here are all the non-comments from update-exim4.conf.conf

dc_eximconfig_configtype='satellite'
dc_other_hostnames=''
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost='suddenlink.net'
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets=''
dc_smarthost='smtp.suddenlink.net::587'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='true'
dc_hide_mailname='true'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'

Here are all the important parts of passwd.client except the
password.

smtp.suddenlink.net:martin.m@smtp.suddenlink.net:SECRET

I hope this is a bit more clear.

Martin