Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

Quoting Martin G. McCormick (martin@server1.shellworld.net):
> Bob Bernstein writes:
> > what do you put in exim's config as the name of your smarthost?
>
> dc_smarthost='smtp.suddenlink.net::587'
>
> 	I have figured out the first thing that is wrong but am
> not sure how to fix it. When registering a user ID on
> Suddenlink's email gateway, I had to pick a slightly different
> version of the user name than is on the sending system because
> martin@suddenlink.net was already taken.

I don't see what the issue is. "People" with different usernames
send mail from this system.

> exim4 prepends the
> local UID to the domain portion of mailname

Do you mean /etc/mailname? What's actually in there?

> so the From: line is
> martin@suddenlink.net. I even tried martin.m@suddenlink.net and
> it predictably built martin@martin.m@suddenlink.net which is
> understandable but wrong.

Do you mean the From: line in your email header? What are you typing
in (or what is your mail client putting there) and where are you
observing the changed version?

> The prepending of the local UID is autimatically done so
> one can enter only the fqdn of the smarthost.

Enter the fqdn where? I can't follow these snippets of information
without any context.

Can you post your /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
and a suitably sanitised /etc/exim4/passwd.client line.

Cheers,
David.