Re: YAGF is a seriously screwed package

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud@olgiati-in-paraguay.org> writes:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 11:15:17 -0400
> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> If you substitute in "madams" for "mesdames" (since, AFAIK, "mesdames"
>> is just the French equivalent of the same word), it makes more sense.
>
> remember that "madam" is usually apposite for the manageress of a brothel...

Depends on context.  "Dear Sirs/Madams:" no more implies that the women
are brothel managers than it does the men are knights.

The funny thing to me is what caused this whole mini-tempest in a
micro-teapot was an attempt to be polite.  I can't remember when I last
used a salutation on usenet, if I ever have.