Re: can't disable Thinkpad touchpad

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Jape Person wrote:
> One idea (maybe far-fetched) did occur to me. Are you using the
> intel-microcode / iucode-tool (or the AMD alternative) for updating the
> microcode at boot time? If so, I guess its remotely possible that a fix in
> the microcode update is defeating your attempt at turning the touchpad off

Meh, I've had weird things blamed on the *-microcode packages before, but
THAT is a new one :-)

The USB keyboard and encrypted root password prompt issues in jessie are
almost always caused by: missing modules or missing USB firmware in the
initramfs; a required module not being autoloaded for some reason (list it
in /etc/modules to fix -- and rebuild the initramfs, of course); and several
issues in the cryptsetup support for encrypted root in the initramfs in
systemd mode, which I *thought* were already fixed.

Reading through the initramfs-tools and cryptsetup bug tracker pages
might help.

http://bugs.debian.org/initramfs-tools
http://bugs.debian.org/cryptsetup

The Synaptics touchpad in the Thinkpad X250 is new hardware, and it is not
fully supported even by kernel 4.1, as there is still a rather nasty issue
in the way the current driver operates related to either multitouch or
gesture support, I think.  It is being addressed upstream, search the LKML
archives of the last month for threads with 'synaptics' in the name.

This page has good details on Debian support for the X250:
http://www.corsac.net/X250/

> You could also make sure that you're running the latest version of the BIOS,

That's pretty much a non-optional rule for thinkpads, *especially* recently
lauched ones.  Keep your firmware up-to-date.

  Henrique Holschuh