Re: YAGF is a seriously screwed package & to be rude or not

"Susmita/Rajib Bandopadhyay" <bkpsusmitaa@gmail.com <mailto:bkpsusmitaa%40gmail.com>> originally wrote:

I need this software desperately to be finally free from the
strangle-hold of proprietary, closed-source software developers.

But I am shocked to find this software being ported into stable
packages, while it can do nothing. As soon as it is tried it shuts
itself off.

I hope the package will be salvaged by a nearest possible date.

Yes - it WAS rude - but not because of tone, or sexism, or anything like that - but because of utter lazyness (or, to be charitable, cluelessness).

10 seconds of googling reveals that:
- the last upstream release is .0.9.5 - dated 2/24/15 (and it's the only version on the net)
- it seems to have practically no development activity and no users
- there are 12 open tickets in its bug tracker
- the last development activity I can find is from 5 months back
- there's no email support list that I can find
- the developer is unidentified other than that he's male and located in Russia
- the code started out on google code and moved to Sourceforge

In short:
- this was a quick piece of prototype code, by a random hacker that is not being supported or used

What's rude, to me, is the attitude of entitelment - expecting it to be more than it is.

I will note that I find it just a tad curious that someone bothered to actually package it and list themselves as a maintainer.

Miles Fidelman