Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

    GC> Hi,
    >> I am still not convinced that $350 will be a major obstacle.

    GC> $350 sound quite a lot to me and buying a whole new computer
    GC> for the sake of this seems quite wasteful as well. Buying a
    GC> USB key of USB drive would be cheaper. Debian live [1] can
    GC> install live systems on USB keys and HDDs as well [2].

    GC> You could even install a real Debian system on a HDD drive.

    GC> The installation process probably won't be so easy however
    GC> (which means you might not want them to do the installation).

    >> The Live CDs sounds interesting, but then all configuration is
    >> lost, I think, when the CD is rebooted?

    GC> You can enable some form of persistence even on Debian live
    GC> CDs [3] by using a USB key or a file one of the existing
    GC> (NTFS) partition.

    GC> You can use /home on a USB key as well.

    GC> Another solution is to create the partitions for you Linux
    GC> system as files on the disk of the exiting partitions. There
    GC> is even a tool for this [4]. It's going to work mush better
    GC> than a VM if the computer does not have hardware support for
    GC> virtualization and enough RAM. I used this once and the
    GC> installation process was very easy.

    GC> [1] http://live.debian.net/ [2]
    GC> http://live.debian.net/manual/1.x/html/ch03s03.html [3]
    GC> http://live.debian.net/manual/1.x/html/persistence.html [4]
    GC> https://wiki.debian.org/fr/DebianInstaller/Loader

    GC> -- Gabriel

Gabriel,

Thanks for this  suggestion.  This approach sounds useful.   I think I
am going to list a few options  with the pros and cons of each and let
the participants  decide the  approach they want  to try.  As  long as
they have access to a version  of Debian with X working for a desktop,
how they  achieve that is not  necessarily critical.

Marc

--
Marc Ronell, PhD CSE, PE EE
gpg pub key 42E39C86 on http://pgp.mit.edu/