Re: [Solved, but not explained] Re: Using OpenVPN client with wicd

On 07/09/2015 11:56 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 09:44:40AM -0400, James P. Wallen wrote:

Between the Debian and Archlinux documentation and a little pondering I was
able to use the OpenVPN client manually with wicd as the network manager.

Which you are going to keep a secret? People are going to see the solved
in the subject when they do an archive search thinking they're going to
find a solution.

I did consider posting what I had done. I actually experimented with three ways to accomplish the task at hand. I simply used the CLI to control the client in one instance, and I used a script in the other two instances. In one of those I ran the script manually after getting the network connection, and in the other I ran the script via wicd's ability to run post-connection scripts to execute the script.

Easy. And reason enough why there aren't any write-ups specific to my needs. The documentation Petter Adsen pointed me to was sufficient for me with my limited grasp of the subject matter and my unusual circumstance. As he indicated, that document should be enough for anyone to accomplish the task.

The riseup.net VPN is different enough from every other publicly available VPN I've seen that documenting my method wouldn't serve much purpose. The folks at riseup.net are doing their best to encourage new users to switch to the new system which uses bitmask/LEAP and is self-configuring. And that's what I wound up doing.

I suppose I should have indicated all of this in my previous message as an explanation for lack of inclusion of a how-to. I absent-mindedly used the "Solved" indicator to indicate to the thread participants that I had succeeded. Not to indicate that I really had any new information to provide. Fuzzy thinking, I guess. (Hey, we let our world leaders get away with it!)

In partial atonement for my misstep I provide the following links which were, in turn, provided to me by Petter:

https://wiki.debian.org/OpenVPN

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openvpn

The second link contains further links to other resources which might be helpful to those connecting to the more "ordinary" types of VPNs, but which weren't necessary for my purposes.

Sorry for the miscue, Chris.

Regards,
JP