Re: ffmpeg vs. libav

Quoting Nicolas George (george@nsup.org):
> Le decadi 20 messidor, an CCXXIII, David Wright a écrit :
> > The reason I used quotations was to try to avoid putting words in the
> > mouths of the libav and Debian teams/leaderships. But the user could
> > read all this as (loosely in the same order):
> >
> > wheezy:
> >     ffmpeg is deprecated
> >     avconv is its replacement
> >     man ffmpeg gives you many examples in terms of avconv, not ffmpeg
> >     ffmpeg is now listed as a transitional package
> >     libav-tools breaks ffmpeg and replaces it
> >
> > jessie:
> >     ffmpeg has now gone
> >     avconv has replaced it; same team, much the same functionality
> >     traces of ffmpeg remain in the names of some applications' support libraries
> >
> > and to summarise the release notes:
> >
> > Debian wheezy [...]: ffmpeg has been replaced by [...] (libav-tools).
> > It provides [...] and prepares an upgrade path for existing application packages.
> > installation of packages from third-party repositories should not be necessary.
> >
> > So if Debian has moved forward from ffmpeg to libav, then using ffmpeg
> > is "going back", unless you mean something else by those two words.
> >
> > BTW, the OP didn't say "getting stuck" but "stuck going back".
> > Stuck has the sense of "to fail to proceed or advance" and it
> > often expresses an emotion of defeat at the prospect.
>
> So, basically, what you are painfully and awkwardly trying to explain is
> that you believe that the choices made by Debian developers, for reasons
> partially expressed publicly but that you do not actually know, are so
> universal that people who have different needs should feel distressed when
> they arrive to different choices.

Please do not do this. I have expressed no such belief.

The only opinion I have expressed is that "a user might
assume from this output that there's some sort of evolutionary
transition in progress, might they not." in exactly those words
from my first post.

My second post, which you have quoted above, was a distillation of the
first, written for *your* benefit, to reduce the flood to a few drops.

The statements are not my opinions. They are just a reasonable minimal
interpretation to put upon the phrases that my Debian computer emits
when certain commands are input. But I think you knew that.

> The only source of distress should be not finding the program you need
> packaged by Debian, and thus having to install it from sources or from a
> third party repository.

If that statement is your belief, then why not express it as a comment
to the OP's posting, instead of just taking issue with two words that
he used in a colloquial English expression?

Cheers,
David.