Re: Using OpenVPN client with wicd

On 07/07/2015 03:26 PM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
I suppose I could set up a server on the home network. That
would protect my traffic from prying eyes when I'm a
visitor on another network, but it wouldn't really keep my
home ISP from snooping on me. Or am I missing something?

There has to be a way to reach your network from outside
(something not all providers offer, alas -- they sometimes
insert traffic filters without telling you), and then you'd
have to "find" the address (something with can be done with
DynDNS). But there's a way to find out.

I have a business account with Comcast, so I have a fixed IP and (ostensibly) no filtering. I've used IP forwarding (and even port knocking and other weird stuff like that, just for kicks) on various routers over the years, so I'm acquainted with the process.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I really don't like the way Comcast
(and many other ISPs) seem to think that they own their
customers.

I think this doesn't have anything to do with paranoia,
rather with dignity and decency.

Yup, that too.

;)

Considering how much Comcast charges for its services, it's annoying to find them trying to sell me and my views to every nick-and-dime business partner.

Best regards,
JP