Re: Using OpenVPN client with wicd

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 01:32:21PM -0400, James P. Wallen wrote:
> On 07/07/2015 09:23 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> So -- if I understand -- you have control of a server out there on
> the Internet, and that's what makes this work for you.

Right. That rules this out in your case, since the server side is,
as I gather, out of your control.

>                                                        I know
> nothing of socat, but it sounds interesting.

Socat is like "nmap on steroids": a way of connecting streams
together -- be it network sockets, stdin, whatever. Quite useful
when deebugging things (as nmap is) -- but also for "production".

>                                              I suppose I could set
> up a server on the home network. That would protect my traffic from
> prying eyes when I'm a visitor on another network, but it wouldn't
> really keep my home ISP from snooping on me. Or am I missing
> something?

There has to be a way to reach your network from outside (something
not all providers offer, alas -- they sometimes insert traffic
filters without telling you), and then you'd have to "find" the
address (something with can be done with DynDNS). But there's
a way to find out.

> Maybe I'm paranoid, but I really don't like the way Comcast (and
> many other ISPs) seem to think that they own their customers.

I think this doesn't have anything to do with paranoia, rather
with dignity and decency.

> I'm an activist of sorts, and I really do not like how cozy
> businesses and government are about our communications. Some of the
> people I communicate with have suffered greatly at the hands of
> various governments, and I don't want to take any more risk with
> their rights than is absolutely necessary when we contact each
> other.

Definitely.

[...]

> Yes, I do prefer light(er) weight, but magic and ease of use are
> nice, too.

Ah, the embarrasment of riches, I know, I know :-)

> Again, thank you.

The pleasure's on my side.

regards
- -- tomás