Compiling Audacious

I tried to install audacious from source, installing dependencies as it needed them.

It all went well, except for the plugins package.

But although the icon is seen in Multimedia, clicking on it wont' start the program.

And so I uninstalled everything and installed from Debian repo with

apt-get install audacious audacious-plugin

I got no errors. But it still won't start by clicking on its icon in Multimedia.

audacious -v in Terminal gives

Audacious 3.6.2 (unknown build)

And so I thought I had removed it all, with ---purge etc.

and when run it as root and regular user in terminal

audacious

output:
ERROR dbus-server.cc:794 [dbus_server_init]: D-Bus error: The connection is closed
ERROR plugin-init.cc:132 [start_single]: No output plugin found.
(Did you forget to install audacious-plugins?)
Aborted

It's apparent one can't add the nilarimogard/webupd8, ppa, which has the latest build. And so compiling is the only option left.

Any help in removing everything, including the files installed when I tried to compile it would be great.

Also, anyone here who has successfully installed it from source who can help me do so?

Thanks a lot in advance!