XFCE and screensavers

Just a minor annoyance. Every time I install Debian with my favored desktop environment, XFCE, I get a different result with the screensaver. Not even between different versions. I can literally install twice from the same install disk and get different behavior. Sometimes the screensaver daemon just won't start at all and it's not possible to use a screensaver with that install. Other times it will only turn off the display, not run a configured screensaver. And yet other times it will run the screensaver but won't accept any time settings. It just uses its own default from some unknown location and cannot be changed. Apparently this has something to do with XFCE not being the default desktop for Debian, and so there is a conflict with something else that was intended to work with KDE and/or Gnome?  Is there some simple way to uninstall the "default" whatever it is and fix/reinstall the XFCE screensaver?