Re: Something wrong with NetworkManager

On 6 July 2015 at 06:18, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

I thought you are not supposed to have the same interface managed by
both ifupdown and networkmanager.

The wiki has:

  If you want NetworkManager to handle interfaces that are enabled in /etc/network/interfaces:

    Set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

    Restart NetworkManager:

 https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManage

Hi Brian,

Yes, you are right. I used NetworkManager alone some years now. I only turned on ifupdown yesterday after NetworkManager failed to do its job (due to some mysterious reason LOG should clarify).

NetworkManager will not manage an interface listed in /etc/network/interfaces, so they say. So its not managed by both. And that is a great thing, no need to change. Because if NM goes crazy like yesterday, you can chose to change who manages it. If you change "managed=true", then if NM breaks, you'll be left without options. (Well, there is WICD, but you need internet to install it)

After 2 reboots and nothing else from my part except commenting the lines from /etc/network/interfaces (effectively given back control to NetworkManager) it came back alive ok.

Now I'm back to it (NetworkManager) and hope it will keep up.

Thanks.
Beco.

PS. Link:

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09