Jessie - running smoothly at last - nouveau driver

Yesterday, I was ready to quit my experience of Jessie (8.1) and return to Wheezy (7.8). After a number of problems encountered and fixed, there was only the video which would occasionally and irregularly crash the system leaving a screen full of tearing. This never happened with Wheezy. The only way out was reboot or power-off.

My system has on-board MCP61 nVidia with the ethernet using forcedeth driver and the video (C61 [GeForce 7025/nForce 630a]) using nouveau driver. The solution, probably not ideal but it works until an updated nouveau, is to turn off hardware assisted acceleration.

So if anyone else has a similar system and similar problem, try creating a /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf file, containing:
	options nouveau noaccel=1

Solution found in Debian bug 758460 (after much searching).

Bruce
--
Bruce Ward, Nelson, New Zealand