Re: I upgraded from jessie to stretch and messed up I used the dist-upgrade command....

Michael Fothergill a écrit :

> But, I thought that if  X windows can't work without a given package, even
> if it is a non-free one, then once the sources.list file has the non-free
> moniker present it then if you ran apt-get update and then aptitude
> safe-upgrade it would automatically fetch it and install it

APT does not care whether a package "works" or not. It just cares about
meeting dependencies when installing packages.

There is no strong dependency ("depends") between X.org packages and
firmware-linux-nonfree. Otherwise X.org could not be in the main section
 of the Debian archivee but in contrib because it would depend on a
non-free package, and it could not have been installed in the first time
without the non-free section available.

xserver-xorg-video-radeon has only a loose dependency ("suggests") on
firmware-linux which depends on firmware-linux-nonfree. But as someone
else already replied, neither apt-get upgrade nor aptitude safe-upgrade
would ever install new packages. They only upgrade installed packages.