Re: Debian Jessie install failing on configure acpi-support-base

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 3:30:05 AM UTC-5, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 11:45:47AM -0700, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> > One of my servers crashed (and I need to get it up in a hurry!) so I am trying to re-install Jessie.  The problem is, when I run the install from the netinst CD, it hangs every time when it attempts to configure the acpi-support-base utility.  The keyboard is unresponsive.  What can I do to get this system back online ASAP?
>
> There's a Debian Installer FAQ about unresponsive keyboards:
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ#Q:_When_I_run_the_DebianInstaller.2C_my_keyboard_doesn.27t_work.21

That's not overly helpful.  First of all, where does one issue the directive, "boot: linux noapic nolapic"?  Secondly, I tried booting the system with the already installed systen and ran the configuration manually.  This hung because of policy-rc.d, but I edited that and was able to complete the configurationb.  At that point, I tried running the installer again, and this time it halted when configuring kbd.  I tied using a different keyboard, and it hangs at the step following that.

It occurs to me at this point I probably should have mentioned I am not attempting a clean install.  This server is heavily configured, and it will take may many days of work to get everything re-configured again.  I just need to get the system stable, again.

Just to confirm this was the issue, I took a new disk and am running the install on it now.  The configuration does not halt during base installation.

> Alternatively, when the installation of packages starts (and your
> keyboard still works), press LeftAlt+F4 to view the log screen and keep
> an eye out for any errors for acpi-related messages.

OK, when this fresh install completes, I'll start again and do that, but what then?  Start the install again, drop to a shell and configure the failing step?