Re: Light web browser for old PC

Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina.rakotomandimby@rktmb.org> writes:

> On 07/02/2015 03:52 AM, Wilko Fokken wrote:
>> In the past times, depending on a serial modem for internet access,
>> I preferred Opera, because it allows to switch ANY graphics OFF // ON
>> through simple menu buttons:
>>
>> [View]--> [Images]--> { [Show images] || [Cached Images] || [No Images] }
>>
>> (Any of the three options can be made the default, to be altered according
>> to one's need while browsing.)
>>
>> So I had "No Images" as my default, starting Opera in "text only" modus;
>> this allowed me to move between URLs pretty fast, and when I had reached
>> an interesting URL, I could easily turn on graphics mode.
>>
>> As pure text browsers, I prefer both: "elinks" and "lynx".
>>

> Displaying images or not has very few things related to the browser heavyness
> and celerity/velocity.  What the OP asked for is a lightweitght browser
> (memory footprint) and potentially velocity in rendering pages (CPU cycle
> usage).

I thought downloading images slowed down a lot...

Thanks to listers for all the suggestions.  But with Dillo, Lynx, w3m, Netsurf,
with all of them I have the same problem: I can't access my e-mail account on
www.libero.it: when I try to, I'm redirected on the previous page.  Please
anybody knows why and how to fix that?

Thanks,

Rodolfo