Re: Boots into emergency mode. How to analyze?

On 06/26/2015 03:59 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
(Please don't top-post.)

On 06/26/2015 at 08:49 AM, Nick T. wrote:

On 06/26/2015 03:33 PM, The Wanderer wrote:

On 06/26/2015 at 07:55 AM, Nick T. wrote:

Ubuntu and debian can boot into recovery mode from the grub
menu, from there it asks for the root password IF there is one,
if not it just gives you a root shell.

Are you sure Debian still does this? Looking at the bug report
which Sven Joachim filed (linked from his post in this thread), it
seems to me as if the patch which added this functionality was lost
when an important binary was moved to another package.

I have regained access to several debian 8 vms using this method,
Yes, it still works.

How recently? What versions of sysvinit/sysvinit-core and util-linux
were installed on the systems in question?

It's not impossible that this functionality could be unrelated to the
patch from bug 326678 (which is referenced from the new bug 789950), but
having reviewed both of those bugs, I'd be surprised if it were.

Just tested it on one of the systems I am currently configuring, works like a charm

$ dpkg -l | grep sysvinit
ii sysvinit-utils 2.88dsf-59 amd64 System-V-like utilities

$ dpkg -l | grep util-lin
ii util-linux 2.25.2-6 amd64 Miscellaneous system utilities
ii util-linux-locales 2.25.2-6 all Locales files for util-linux

- Nick