Re: Suspending and lid-switch

Celejar wrote:
> Running wheezy. I've been suspending to ram (hibernate-ram --force) my
> ThinkPad T61 for several years with no problems. Recently, I installed
> acpi-support to enable suspending via lid closure (by enabling
> LID_SLEEP=true in /etc/default/acpi-support). I still tend to enter the
> hibernate command manually, by habit, followed by lid closure. When I
> subsequently open the lid, the machine wakes up (as it always has done,
> even before installing acpi-support) - and then goes back to sleep
> several seconds later (which it never did before).

I read the above and understand that it suspends twice when you have
manually entered 'hibernate-ram --force'.  Does it also have that
problem if you suspend upon lid close?  That part was not clear to me.
Or is it only when you manually call hibernate-ram?

I always use Fn-F4 (sleep) on my T60 and then close the lid and do not
have this problem.  I don't sleep automatically on lid close.  I often
want to close my lid and carry from place to place and don't want it
to automatically suspend.  However my T60 is currently Squeeze not
Wheezy so the versions are not the same.  I do have acpi-support
installed.  I do not have LID_SLEEP=true uncommented.

I assume you have scanned the /var/log/syslog looking for the event
trail?  Is there anything interesting there?  If things haven't
changed in a release look for "PM:" lines.

> It seems pretty clear that somehow, the lid closure is triggering a
> second hibernation, which takes place after the machine wakes up from
> the first (even though the closure occurs after the machine has already
> gone to sleep). This is certainly not the desired behavior - is this is
> bug? Should I file against acpi-support?

I have read of people having this problem before.  There is almost
certainly discussion in the debian-laptop mailing list from some years
ago on this problem.  I am sure you are not the only person to have
suffered from suspending again immediately after waking from sleep
problem.  But I am not sure if or where a bug would lie.  Plus I
assume that systemd has absorbed all of this functionality in Jessie
therefore filing a bug report would simply be ignored now.

Bob