Re: Connecting laptop to internet via cell network

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 03:08:04PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Visiting vendorS' websites and brick-n-mortar locationS I can find
> many references to using with Windows(tm) &/or Apple(tm). I'm much
> more interested in using with *DEBIAN*!

Currently available from Sprint is the Netgear 341U, a USB cell
modem.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/365938/sprint-netgear-341u-usb-modem

has reports of how to compile the usb-serial driver that comes
with it.

AT&T's cell modem is the Beam; clicking around indicates that it
is in fact the Netgear 340U with a sticker on it. Netgear's
Linux support is here:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26983

T-Mobile doesn't sell any USB devices right now, but they
will happily sell you a cell modem with a standard wifi
interface. No weird drivers needed, should work with any Linux
box with a working wifi nic. I would not be surprised if there
was a Netgear USB modem that will work with their service,
though.

-dsr-