QDBus connection

I'm running Wheezy and installed k3b to burn an ISO to install
aptosid. For some reason the aptosid manual said to use it, but I
suspect it was only because the author lives in a KDE desktop
environment and something like wodim would have done just as well.

My problem is that I cannot start k3b because it cannot find my optical
drive. The k3b interface says "No optical drive found". In the terminal
I see:

  QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before
        QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
  KGlobal::locale::Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a
        valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually
        means you tried to call i18n related functions before your main
        component was created. You should not do that since it most
        likely will not work
  QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before
        QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

I'm ignorant about desktop environments and so don't know what to make
of all this. Is the problem that I have no DE installed? It seems DBus
is part of a GNOME or KDE desktop environment.

My optical drive is ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS. While it behaves oddly, it
is so conventional under Linux that I doubt it is the source of trouble.

Haines Brown