Re: Can't Write to dvdrw Device

 Hi.

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:36:07 -0400
"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> In Gnome/drives the device is reported as Read Only
>
> The installed sata dvdrw drive is listed in fstab and /dev/sr0 and as
> type udf,iso9600
>
> I did not make this entry in fstab but I have tried modifiying it from
> user,noauto to rw,user,noauto which has no effect. I also found entries
> in /media for cdrom with permissions l777 linked to cdrom0 with
> permissions d755 which I changed to d777. This change also has had no
> effect.
>
> So Gnome programs wont write to the device and from a console wodim
> can't find it because /dev/sr0 is not a designation for a scsi device.
>
> Where did the identification sr0 come from and how can I change it?

All device pseudo-files, sr0 included, are named the way they are by
udev. For user's convenience, udev should also create symlinks
to /dev/sr0 named /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrw and others.

The creation of such symlinks is controlled by this file:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules

If you want to fix devices' names - you need to change it there.

The ability to burn CDs and DVDs does not depend in any way to the
contents of /etc/fstab. Fstab is only used for mounting CDs with an
existing filesystem.

Reco