Re: Boots into emergency mode. How to analyze?

On 06/25/2015 at 10:47 AM, Martin Read wrote:

> On 25/06/15 15:37, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> What happens if you try to log in as root, or to 'go root' (by
>> e.g. running 'su' in a terminal)?
>>
>> Does it error out directly, or can you log in as root by pressing
>> Enter without typing anything (i.e., giving a blank password)?
>>
>> The former would be (as previously mentioned) a crazy system
>> design, and the latter would be a fairly serious security issue IMO
>> - even for a system intended to be used by only one person.
>
> The usual architecture of "no root password" is, as I understand it,
> "root's entry in the password database contains a value which cannot
> possibly be the hash of a password", meaning that you can't directly
> log in as root.

So the former, then: it would error out directly.

In which case I return to my original comment on that point: although
there might be situations where this setup could make sense, they would
_not_ be for the casual user. As a setup for a sole computer intended to
be administered by its sole user, this is simply a crazy design.

--
   The Wanderer