Re: Boots into emergency mode. How to analyze?

On 06/25/2015 at 10:24 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 25 June 2015 09:22:30 Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 25 June 2015 13:33:25 The Wanderer wrote:

>>> Why don't you have the root password? Is this not your system,
>>> but just one you've been given for ordinary use?
>>
>> It is possible, in this Ubuntu-ised world, to install Debian
>> without a root password.
>>
>> Lisi
>
> Absolutely Lisi.  I have 4 copies of wheezy running here ATM, none
> has a root passwd.

What happens if you try to log in as root, or to 'go root' (by e.g.
running 'su' in a terminal)?

Does it error out directly, or can you log in as root by pressing Enter
without typing anything (i.e., giving a blank password)?

The former would be (as previously mentioned) a crazy system design, and
the latter would be a fairly serious security issue IMO - even for a
system intended to be used by only one person.

--
   The Wanderer