Re: Boots into emergency mode. How to analyze?

On 06/25/2015 at 07:54 AM, Matthijs Wensveen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running unstable / sid. Yesterday, I suddenly started booting
> into emergency mode and I'm unsure why. I had a hang the day before,
> right after a apt-get dist-upgrade, so it might be either one of
> those, or something else altogether.
>
> Booting into emergency mode doesn't help me, as I can neither login
> without a root password, nor continue to default mode with Ctrl-D
> because that just throws me back into emergency mode.

Why don't you have the root password? Is this not your system, but just
one you've been given for ordinary use?

> I'm rather stuck on how to analyze the situation. I can mount and
> even chroot into the '/' partition from a live CD (LMDE 2) and even
> run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, but the boot problem persists.
> I can also boot with init=/bin/sh, but I don't know what to look
> for.
>
> Any ideas on what I should try? Any help is much appreciated.

When booted from a LiveCD or with a different init, check to see what
information may have made it into logs from the previous failed boot
attempts.

If nothing has, you might see if you can get any information out at the
time of the boot failure, over a serial console or netconsole. (Good
luck with that; I've never set one up myself, although I know the kernel
developers use them routinely.)

Make sure you have a valid init installed and configured, by
reinstalling the appropriate packages ('apt-get install --reinstall
packagename') if necessary.

There's not really anything I can say to suggest the possible actual
problem without knowing what the messages around the "hang" and/or the
"drop into emergency mode" failures are.

--
   The Wanderer