Re: Gnome-terminal in Mate, How? (more info. and questions)

On 20150624_1151+0200, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-06-23 at 14:38 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I'm running Jessie with Mate as desktop GUI. I notice that Mate
> > terminal, which I use a lot, is very similar in function to
> > Gnome-terminal. But Mate terminal does not have the function of
> > repainting the text in a window when the window is resized. This is
> > available when I run gnome-terminal under Xfce4. How can I get that
> > feature in Mate? I already have Gnome-terminal installed and it
> > works when I boot into Xfce4, but I can't invoke it when I am
> > running Mate. Is this a feature, or a bug?
>
> It looks like Mate is hard-coded to use it's own terminal, at least
> from the menus, but you should have no trouble launching gnome
> -terminal, either from a shortcut or from an existing terminal. Do you
> get any errors?
What is a shortcut in the context of Mate/Gnome?
No errors are reported to me the user.

> You might also try removing the mate terminal and setting gnome
> -terminal as the default.

I don't know how to remove mate terminal or how to set "gnome-terminal
as default". That is a rephrasing of my original question. ;-)

> Anyway, I thought the mate terminal was just a fork of the gnome one,
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
				      me too.
> so if it can't repaint it's probably a bug.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ well maybe there is
     some F-key magic that I don't know about...

The repaint of text that I want is done by Bash and is already specified
in my $HOME/.bashrc AND it works correctly in an Xfce4 boot.

My current setup is:

Jessie, and both MATE and Xfce4 tasks are installed. I select one or
the other at boot-up. The real Gnome-terminal is installed and works
properly when I run Xfce4. But I don't actually know which version of
Gnome the terminal comes from. Aptitude points to Jessie with no
pinning or other fancy stuff.

I can get Gnome-terminal/Bash repaint if I open Gnome-terminal
inside the Mate-terminal window. But that is not a solution, that is data
collection for filing a bug report.

Thanks to all, and
Best regards,
--