Re: KDE in Stretch unusable [RESOLVED]

On 24/06/15 12:31 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, Gary Dale wrote:
root@transponder:/home/garydale# aptitude full-upgrade
   liblz4-1{a} libopenconnect5{a}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   libppl12{u}
   cpp-4.4 gcc-4.4 gcc-4.4-base libcurl3-gnutls libgnutls-deb0-28{b}
libgnutls-openssl27
   libldap-2.4-2 libpcre16-3 libpcre3 libpcre3:i386 libpcre3-dev libpcre32-3
libpcrecpp0
   plasma-nm
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
   network-manager-pptp
14 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 9,080 kB of archives. After unpacking 569 kB will be freed.
  libgnutls-deb0-28 : Conflicts: libhogweed2 but 2.7.1-5 is installed.
                      Conflicts: libnettle4 but 2.7.1-5 is installed.
open: 51; closed: 2152; defer: 18; conflict: 25

then offers to remove kde and libreoffice.

I previously tried to remove libhogweed2 but that seems to be the key
package and removing it again leads to aptitude offering to remove kde and
libreoffice.
There's an ongoing transition from libhogweed2 to libhogweed4 and
libnettle4 to libnettle6. Once the packages which depend on this chain
are rebuilt, things should work properly again.

Ideally, there wouldn't be this conflict, but
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=784009 is why the
conflict is there.

Bit the bullet and let aptitude remove things, then I reinstalled a couple of KDE packages (Konsole and Kontact) that I needed. When that worked, I tried reinstalling task-kde-desktop. That worked too.

After rebooting into KDE, I still couldn't get Icedove to work. However it would launch in safe mode, so one of the plugins or extensions works with Gnome but not KDE. Since I didn't need them, I just removed them and things are back to normal.

Not sure what lbihogweed is used for, but the dependency around it hasn't surfaced yet.