Re: Flash update

Hi all,

>Any alternatives?
>I hate flash!

I used to do as well, but only in Linux world, until...

>> You can also try https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin
>> A wrapper to use Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin with NPAPI
>> browsers like Firefox

Yes, I also installed pepperflashplugin-nonfree AND chromium, and flash
just got to work
Pepperflashplugin can be installed only if you modify your /etc/apt/sources.list
You have to add few lines like this into to be able to download pepperflash:

#backport
deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

(!!!mind to change the wheezy word to jessie if you already use jessie!!!)
then

su
apt-get -t wheezy-backports install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
(!!!mind to change the wheezy word to jessie if you already use jessie!!!)

I used Chromium with pepperflashplugin-nonfree for a while, but later...

>>>I guess the question is is it any safer than the regular plugin? If
>>>not, you get the additional hassle of having to update it manually.

I removed chromium, because gmail said it has security issues. Google offered
me another solution, the Chrome web browser (based upon this, Chrome and
Chromium seems not the same software).
You can download the google-develeped Chrome from:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

You'll get a .deb package. I installed it with gdebi, because it downloads all the necessary dependecies the program requires, if it requires something at all.
Then I've just checked the flashplayer on adobe flashplayer site
(https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html)
The page says I have the latest flash installed, and notice that I don't have to worry about upgrading flash separately, because "Flash Player is pre-installed
in Google Chrome and updates automatically!"
(https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-google-chrome.html)

Since I have been using Chrome, maybe I could remove pepperflashplugin with no
effect on Chrome, but at this time I haven't tested it yet.

- Tamas Fekete
wheezy user