Re: experimental.

On 2015-06-24 23:36, Jape Person wrote:
On 06/24/2015 08:51 AM, Weaver wrote:
Greetings all.

I have a spare unstable system that I was thinking of jumping up to
experimental to play with.
Is experimental strictly non-gui, or is there a recommended light
desktop that can sit on top?
Thanks for any advice to this slow and ancient learner.
Cheers!

Weaver.

From a doubtless slower and possibly more ancient learner --

I haven't used experimental much, but when I did, I found desktop
environments to be broken a large part of the time -- broken enough to
require version roll-backs of lots of different packages just to get a
working environment. In one case I think I had to resort to a full
re-installation because the dependency snarl was going to be more
trouble than it was worth to sort.

Why not try a simple window manager? Much less integration among
various components to get messed up during transitions of system
stuff. There are a lot of nifty WMs in the repos. I've been meaning to
test a slew of them to see if I can learn something. Besides their
package descriptions and screenshots at their Web sites, some of the
window managers have demos posted on youtube.com. There's something
for everyone in the selection.

Good luck!

Yes, I've found enlightenment very good for that in the past. Nice and light, quick, nowhere near as avant garde as it once was, while enabling you to pick and choose as to which KDE, Gnome, or whatever packages you desired, providing a nice individual, independent set-up.
Cheers!

Weaver

JP

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515