Re: KDE in Stretch unusable

On 2015-06-24 22:48, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On 2015-06-24 21:21, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 June 2015 10:23:41 Gary Dale wrote:
>> I just upgraded from Jessie to Stretch. The dist-upgrade went smoothly
>> until I rebooted into the new system then things went wrong.
>>
>> The first thing I noticed was that it complained when trying to start
>> up
>> KDE. It said the kde-plasma-desktop was invalid (or similar) and
>> switched me into the default Gnome desktop.
>>
>> Interestingly, I still had konsole so I used that to try to install
>> task-kde-desktop. That failed with dependency errors so I tried
>> lower-level kde packages and eventually got only a half-dozen packages
>> that needed installing for kde-standard. Once I installed them and
>> kde-standard, I was able to install the full task.
>>
>> Except I couldn't start konsole or icedove when I rebooted and
>> selected
>> kde as the desktop. Iceweasel started OK as did gkrellm (two other
>> things on my desktop session).
>>
>> Trying the same tactic as before, I eventually got to trying to
>> install
>> libgnutls-deb0-28. When I ask apt-get to install it however, it
>> decides
>> it needs to remove pretty much everything kde and libreoffice - 390
>> packages in all.
>>
>> Any advice on how I should proceed other than abandoning kde?
>
> The usual Stretch advice?  Wait a few days, then try again?  And then
> another
> few days, and then try again?
>
> If necessary, wait a few weeks, really zap everything KDE, and install
> KDE
> afresh?
>
> Lisi

I'm running Stretch on an Acer Travelmate 6593 with a full KDE desktop,
and Gnome desktop on a Dell Optiplex 980. No trouble with either. I
don't run 'dist-upgrade' any longer. It's always 'safe-upgrade'. I have
no problems with that. I haven't had any problems with an unstable
install for years, but perhaps I'm lucky.

AND you only run safe-upgrade!!

Yep, and it works just fine!

Lisi
Cheers!

Weaver.

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its
government."

Registered Linux User: 554515