Re: CUPS set-up for the 0.01%

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 13:16:50 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 22 Jun 2015 at 03:50:33 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
>
> > On 22/06/15 12:48 AM, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > >>
> > >i really don't believe this is a driver issue anymore.

wow- was I wrong.  Turns out it was .

> I think the drivers are put in /opt.

yes they are.

I can now print from other computers !!

It turns out there are two driver packages i had to install,

  dcp8110dncupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
  dcp8110dnlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb

and I thought I had installed both of them, but I had not installed the lpr package (honest- I thought i had installed both of them).

I do still have it connected to the USB port and eventually I need to get it back to ethernet, but that's ok. Now that I know it works I should be able to move it back to ethernet.

I hope.

So I believe the sum total of my problems were the following:

* at one point i figured out that the lo interface was not coming up automatically, meaning i had no localhost.  i have a bad feeling i don't have lo coming up auto because i think it causes problems with my network set-up.  so i have to investigate, or obviously it's going to break on reboot.

* i had a bug, or bugs, in my cupsd.conf (thanks Brian)

* i didn't have the brother lpr package installed.

* it's possible that there's still a problem with the printer being on ethernet, as of right now it's on USB (thank again Brian for that suggestion).

Thanks very much everyone for your help !

Brian