Re: Change systemd to not be default in Stretch

On Monday 22 June 2015 21:27:40 Martin Read wrote:
> On 22/06/15 20:37, Zebediah C. McClure wrote:
> > I think sysv is a great candidate to replace systemd.  Which system init
> > system is most likely to be considered to replace systemd?
>
> Honestly? None. The entire topic caused a great deal of incendiary
> debate among the people who make Debian happen, and I very much doubt
> any of them wish to reignite that any time soon. Certainly, "go back to
> sysvinit" seems likely to receive *particularly* short shrift.

> an entirely content Debian user, who thinks jessie is the best Debian
> release he has had the good fortune to use so far.

I'm glad it works well for you. I honestly didn't have a position in the
systemd debate. I've always run stable, and apart from the odd patch here and
there it's been stable.

For the fist time ever I've been hit with massive breakage across an update.

Non-booting system because of race condition in drive mounting.
Not correctly assembled lvm-raid volumes,
Syslog-ng udp remote logging broken.
Network manager eth0 auto-dhcp broken.
I haven't tracked it down yet but I also have sound problems on my desktop
that only appear when systemd is around, and some client's servers that can't
correctly set their tape drive's block sizes anymore.

systemd is a lot more all encompassing than init, or any of it's replacements
are, and it's the only package that has caused me any headache. I'd love to
see the debate reopened, I certainly wouldn't set it as default or mark it
stable.

zmc
--
Ensis Technologies