Re: CUPS set-up for the 0.01%

On 22/06/15 12:48 AM, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 23:01:14 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

On 21/06/15 08:08 PM, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 19:33:50 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

I'm not actually grasping some fundamental questions here.
1) where is your printer? I get the impression that it is attached to a
computer on the network and not your local machine.
2) what type of printer is it?
3) is your network otherwise working? Can you browse the Internet,
attach network shares, etc.?

1 it's on a USB port.  it _was_ on ethernet, but CUPS couldn't seem to connect to it properly.  i'm now thinking that maybe it could.

2 brother DCP-8110DN

3 yes, the  network is in good shape.  the only problem i am having which is yet to be resolved is that my loopback interface doesn't come up at boot time for some strange reason.

BRian
Did you download the driver from Brother? They don't have open drivers
so you probably need to get the correct ones from their web site. The
instructions are easy enough but you do need to follow them.

i really don't believe this is a driver issue anymore.

i can print a test page through the cups interface, so i know it's talking to the printer through the USB interface.

what i can't do is print a page through the client interface, i.e. from another computer on the network.

Brian

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't but unless you use the Brother drivers, you won't know.

If you can print locally but not remotely, that could also be a failure to share the printer.