Re: Dlna client and backup

On 06/21/2015 03:30 AM, Germar wrote:
So, to avoid all this I recommend creating an image of your system with
Clonezilla (once a year) AND create snapshots with BIT every
day/week/whatever. This way you can restore the image and have a working
system on which you now only need to restore all changes since that image.
Thanks a lot for this, very informative.

On the other hand there is not much need of backing up all the binaries. You
can easily reinstall them. All you really need to backup is your data (from
/home and maybe /var), config (/etc) and a list of installed packages.
And this is precisely the issue; I want, in the event of a crash, that everything is restored as if nothing ever happened. I don't want to add ppa, run tons of apt-get install(s), search for packages, links, etc. I simply want to pick up where I left off before the crash. Installing all of the packages, etc, takes up a lot of time, and then they have to be configured, etc. I want none of that; just to backup and restore the system in full. I'm not sure if Debian install has an option to restore from image. This will be a great feature.
Take
a look at
https://answers.launchpad.net/backintime/+faq/2455
https://answers.launchpad.net/backintime/+faq/2456