Re: Recurring disk activity

Mayuresh wrote:
> I am a new Debian user.

Welcome! :-)

> On a freshly purchased laptop I installed Debian jessie and I am facing a
> constant recurring disk noise.

Is your Load_Cycle_Count continuously increasing?  You mention a
laptop and at one time there was a big problem with disk drives
continuously parking the drive head.  It has been a few years since I
have heard of this problem.

  # apt-get install smartmontools

  # smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Load_Cycle_Count
  # smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Hours

Look for parameter 193 Load_Cycle_Count and see if the raw value of it
is continuously increasing.

> # hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep level
>         Advanced power management level: disabled

I think that should disable agressive power save management but I
still think it is necessary to look directly at the load cycle count
to know for certain.

> smart, hal : not installed

Install smartmontools.  I also think think you should set up regular
drive selftests.  Ask if you want me to suggest something about this.

Bob