Re: Open URLs in Icedove emails in Iceweasel, how?

On 2015-06-20 15:37, Christian Seiler wrote:
> On 06/20/2015 02:24 PM, Ken Heard wrote:
>> On 2015-06-19 11:27, Christian Seiler wrote:
>>
>>> You can try to set a default browser explicitly:
>>
>>> xdg-mime default iceweasel.desktop x-scheme-handler/http \
>>> x-scheme-handler/https
>>
>> I ran that command as route and the following was returned:
>>
>> touch: cannot touch
>> ‘/root/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list’: No such file or
>> directory /usr/bin/xdg-mime: 781: /usr/bin/xdg-mime: cannot
>> create /root/.local /share/applications/mimeapps.list.new:
>> Directory nonexistent touch: cannot touch
>> ‘/root/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list’: No such file or
>> directory /usr/bin/xdg-mime: 781: /usr/bin/xdg-mime: cannot
>> create /root/.local /share/applications/mimeapps.list.new:
>> Directory nonexistent
>>
>> Did I do something wrong?

Before running Christian's xdg-mime command as root I ran it as my user.
Since it did not have the desired effect I then ran it as root with the
result described above.

However a few minutes ago I read the manual page for sdg-mime.  I then
discovered a file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.  This file
has three lines in it:

	[Default Applications]
	x-scheme-handler/http=iceweasel.desktop
	x-scheme-handler/https=iceweasel.desktop

This command Christian gave me did not work on 19 or 20 June and is not
working today.

> This is really weird. Did you run that as root? (Note that running
> GUI applications as root is discouraged due to security issues.)
> But then, if you log in graphically, that directory should be
> created automatically...
>
> If you want to get rid of the immediate error, you can do (as
> root) mkdir -p /root/.local/share/applications
>
> But if you run xdg-mime as root itwill then only change the
> preferences for root... So unless that's what you want, you should
> note that  the commands I mentioned are to be run as your normal
> user and change the preferences only for that user. They are not
> directly meant to be run as root.
>
> If you want to change these settings globally (note that a user
> can override them, using e.g. the above command), you can create
> (as root) a file /etc/xdg/mimeapps.list and put in the following
> content:
>
> [Default Applications] x-scheme-handler/http=iceweasel.desktop
> x-scheme-handler/https=iceweasel.desktop
>
> (It's an ini file, add the entries if the file already exists.)

I tried doing that, but it did not work either.

> Very useful in this context:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Default_applications (As far
> as I can tell, there is little Arch-specific content on that
> specific wiki page and it applies to most distributions.)

I agree with your comment in parentheses about ArchWiki pages.  In
some cases their pages are better than the Debian and Ubuntu
"official" ones.

I in the ArchWiki Default_applications page I found the path list for
MIME types and applications.  The two paths I have already tried the
fourth and sixth in that list.  I today tried the second on that list;
that one did not work either.

As I use the TDE DE I finally tried the first on that list, changing
the name of the file to TDE-mimeapps.list  -- with an unsuccessful result.

I am not sure what to do next.  It may be a TDE problem; if so I
should post my problem on the TDE list.  Otherwise it appears to me to
be a bug.

Regards, Ken