Re: Dlna client and backup

notoneofmy <notoneofmyseeds <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Thanks a lot. I will give this a try. But to be clear, would this backup
> the entire system and restore it, in the event of a crash of something
> going horribly wrong? I'm hoping it to be like the Time Machine for
> linux; is that what it does?

You can use BackInTime like TimeMachine (kind of). With TimeMachine after
your hdd died you can insert the MacOS DVD, click on restore and couple
hours later your system is back like nothing has ever happened.

With BackInTime this is not that shiny. Remember that BackInTime only works
on file level. You'd need to boot a LiveCD, install BackInTime, recreate all
partitions, format and mount them, restore all files, reinstall grub...

So, to avoid all this I recommend creating an image of your system with
Clonezilla (once a year) AND create snapshots with BIT every
day/week/whatever. This way you can restore the image and have a working
system on which you now only need to restore all changes since that image.

On the other hand there is not much need of backing up all the binaries. You
can easily reinstall them. All you really need to backup is your data (from
/home and maybe /var), config (/etc) and a list of installed packages. Take
a look at
https://answers.launchpad.net/backintime/+faq/2455
https://answers.launchpad.net/backintime/+faq/2456

Regards,