Re: Open URLs in Icedove emails in Iceweasel, how?

On 06/19/2015 11:27 AM, Christian Seiler wrote:
> Am 2015-06-19 16:52, schrieb Ken Heard:
>> I am using Jessie with the latest versions of icedove (31.7.0-1) and
>> iceweasel (31.7.0esr-1~deb-8ul) installed.  update-alternatives
>> - --config x-www-browser already points to iceweasel %u.  In addition
>> file ~/mozilla/icedove/9vgk89rr.default/user.js contains the following
>> two lines:
>>
>> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "iceweasel %u");
>> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "iceweasel %u")
>>
>> But still I cannot open URLs in icedove emails automatically in
>> iceweasel.  What else do I need to do to activate this feature?
>
> You can try to set a default browser explicitly:
>
> xdg-mime default iceweasel.desktop x-scheme-handler/http \
>     x-scheme-handler/https

Christian, Thank you!  I also had that problem going back several years,
probably from a legacy prefs setting from firefox installed from tarball
or who knows what.  In xfce on jessie, setting Preferred Applications
did not help either.  For me, iceweasel was launched but only to open a
new, blank window.  Your suggestion was the complete fix.

I'll post separately for my similar issue with iceweasel not opening
mailto links in icedove.

Thanks!
Ralph