Re: Still unable to get external monitor wotking on Debian 6 - was Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

 Hi.

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 23:54:12 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I have, I believe, previously mentioned, I have been trying for
> about two years, now, to get Debian working on this computer, so that
> it can work with the external monitor.
>
> The status of Debian Linux, with the computer, is that it is  partly
> functional, like some printers are apparently partly functional with
> Linux.

Tough luck. I can recall multiple instances of hardware where Linux did
not boot at all.

If that particular hardware does not do whatever you need from it -
maybe it's time to get a different video card?

> Unfortunately, it appears that once a version of Debian Linux is
> "released" and decreed stable, development of that version and its
> packages, ceases, and it goes into maintenance mode, so that only
> bugfixes and security vulnerabilities, are performed, if they are
> deemed serious enough, and, for the packages that are not abandoned,
> and, development of the version and its packages, is abandoned, like
> when I once worked at a pulp and paper mill, which used to close down
> production for three days every christmas, with only repairs and
> maintenance and cleaning being done, except here, the shutdown of
> production, becomes permanent, and maintenance mode takes over (for as
> long as the maintenance is performed), once a version is decreed
> stable, and "released".

You've just quoted the definition of stable. Us, users of stable, like
it exactly the way it is. But - nobody is forcing to use it.
Don't like stable? Use testing. Or sid.

> And so,I have been trying for about two years, to get Debian Linux
> workiing on this computer, to the extent that it can, like Ubuntu
> 12.04, drive the external monitor, and transfer the display
> completely, to the external monitor, when the external monitor is
> connected.
>
> And, I have not yet, been able to achieve that.

And then again - if Ubuntu satisfies your needs, why suffer with Debian
oldstable?

Reco