Pooched on upgrading to new stable

I decided to upgrade to the latest 'stable'.

On reboot, I see gdm3 launch in the boot sequence which presumably starts X11. I then get a black screen. It is as if X11 loads -- but get stuck. It doesn't crash. I can't jump to a terminal.

I have tried the key combos to kill X11 (ctrl-alt-bkspace) ? that didn't do anything. Interesting is that the mouse lights up when I move it. I don't see a cursor of any kind. I can adjust the backlighting of the keyboard... so, I know the keyboard works.

I tried booting with a i386 netinst disk (version 7.6.0)... I got to safe mode and I try to launch a shell -- but that fails?!?!

Preceding said, I'm not sure what to do I did get a prompt in rescue. I presume I have to disable gdm3 & X11 somehow... so I can get to a prompt when I boot the machine from the hard drive.

I've had problems with X11 over the years with different computers on Debian... but never anything quite like this. Usually when X11 fails... you get booted back to the command line and have a shot at fixing it.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Michael

System - MacBookPro 2011 ?