Re: A question about deleting a big file structure from a big disk in Jessie: Why does this work? I'm really worried.

Curt wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > HOWEVER!  It is a big however.  I can't find any _new_ eSATA
> > enclosures that are not also USB enclosures and do not now include
> > active electronics in the connection between the eSATA and the drive.
> > That's bad IMNHO.  It introduces cheap electronics in the disk path
> > that is unwanted and unneeded.
>
> I'm looking at this:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBSA03-80BK-Flexstor-eSATA-Cable/dp/B005GNP72M
> + caddy (let's say).
>
> Would this suffer from the fragility you're talking about?

First I must say that I don't know anything specific about that
particular adapter.  Buyer beware.  However looking at it and reading
the reviews leads me to believe that it is a pure adapter and no
active electronics in it.  Looks good to me!  I would use it.  Should
work nicely.  Looks to be just an eSATA cable.  That is what you want.
(It isn't an enclosure however.)

My only concern would be providing enough power through the USB.  It
looks to use a single USB connector to obtain up to 0.5A.  That is
enough for an SSD.  It is likely enough for a low power laptop 2.5
inch spinning hard drive.  Although usually those use two USBs to get
up to 1A.  It would not be enough for a 3.5 inch desktop spinning hard
drive.  It would be too power hungry.

Just beware of the power drain of the device.  The USB power limit on
a power hungry device could probably be mitigated by using a suitable
power charger USB socket.  Probably using a mobile cell phone charger
USB socket instead of the computer USB would be sufficient on
something marginal.  Or one of the USB power adapters designed for the
Raspberry Pi would supply even a hungry spinning desktop drive.  I
would take a try it and see attitude.  If it all works well then it
works well.  Stop analyzing it and simply use it.  Looks good to me.

Bob