Re: Icedove stopped sending and receiving e-mail

Quoting "Petter Adsen" <petter@synth.no>:

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 17:44:34 -0400
"Gary Dale" <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

I've just had a rather bad time with my Debian/Jessie AMD64 system.
I had to reset it yesterday after a hardware-related lockup (it
doesn't like my optical drive connected to an add-in PCIe SATA card -
usually freezes after writing an ISO image to DVD). The lockup
wouldn't respond to sysrq so I needed the reset button.

Trying to get back up was painful. I finally got it back by
reverting to SysV Init, which fortunately was an option on the Grub
menu.

However now that it's running, I'm having a weird problem with
Icedove. I can't receive e-mail on any of the accounts it's
configured to check. Moreover, I have three accounts that it's not
showing the inbox, etc. for. These are all configured for pop e-mail
and the e-mail folders are all on a single NFS share that is also
used by the accounts that are showing the inboxes, etc..

The e-mail in the folders that I can see are complete - back to the
time the machine froze, but nothing since.

Interestingly, when I try to Get Messages on an account, I get the
status bar message <e-mail account>: Connected to <pop server name>.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing Icedove but nothing changed.

I can access the accounts via their web-mail interfaces.

I tried sending this message via Icedove but it failed to send. I
just get the "sending message" box and status bar.

Any ideas?

I don't know if it will help you, but it is possible that somehow your
Icedove configuration has become corrupted - have you tried moving it
out of the way so Icedove can't find it, before starting Icedove and
setting it up again?

I don't use Icedove, but I just installed it to see what it creates,
and I would move at least ~/.cache/icedove and ~/.mozilla out of the
way.

Just a suggestion.

Petter

Perhaps. I'm leaning at this point to doing a fresh install of Jessie (after saving /etc) to see if I can get it boot using systemd.

I also tried removing and recreating an account. When I did, I get an error message after filling in the initial dialogue box (Your name, email address, Password).

Error in errorCallback for fetchhttp

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x804b0033 (NS_ERROR_UNKNOWN_SOCKET_TYPE) [nsISocketTransportService.createTransport]" nsresult: "0x804b0033 (NS_ERROR_UNKNOWN_SOCKET_TYPE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/accountcreation/guessConfig.js :: SocketUtil :: line 1058" data: no]

I don't know which package would be generating that message but it looks like it could be the source of the problem.