Re: debian 8

On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 13:28:25 +0300
Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi.
>
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 12:17:37PM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 13:08:29 +0300
> > Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  Hi.

> > > There's something I miss here. Why does your link contains
> > > *wheezy*, instead of *jessie*? Also, why *ppc64el*? It's hardly a
> > > commodity architecture.
> >
> > No idea, the top of the page says: "Chapter 2. What's new in Debian
> > 8"
> >
> > I'm sorry I didn't see the link, I simply went to debian.org and
> > searched for "jessie gnome classic", which returned this:
> >
> > https://search.debian.org/cgi-bin/omega?DB=en&P=jessie+gnome+classic
> >
> > The top link there says, again: "Chapter 2. What's new in Debian
> > 8", so I expected that to be what I wanted. Mea culpa.
>
> Oh I see. Consider this link then:
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html
>
> Especially chapter 2.2.2, which talks about GNOME 3.14.
>
> Funny thing is - chapter 2.2.2 does not mention GNOME Classic at all.
> Presumably because GNOME Classic was axed in GNOME 3.6 (or 3.8, or
> 3.10
> - the memory fails me here).

I see. I found another link[1], but that only mentions that Gnome in
Jessie requires 3D drivers, which I would interpret as "no Classic".

> > > Um, wheezy has GNOME 3.4. It's squeeze which had GNOME 2.30.
> > > Apparently this info is outdated.
> >
> > I don't use Gnome, so I wouldn't know :) As the top of the page said
> > "Debian 8", I didn't inspect the link any closer.
>
> Hey, *I* stopped using GNOME back then Debian stable was called etch.

Maybe this will get more people to switch to something like Xfce or
just a plain WM :)

> But you don't need software to be installed to check its version
> because they give you apt-cache. And if you don't like apt-cache -
> they give you aptitude :)

Not on the machine I'm on right now - it runs Slackware :) I guess
there's no problem in running apt-cache here, but I can't really see a
good reason for doing so :) It will be moved to Jessie pretty soon,
though, just haven't found the time yet.

Petter

[1]
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#gnome-3d

--