Dovecot .deb install broken...

Greetings,

I just tried to install Dovecot for the first time. It was on a virgin Ubuntu/Debian server (Version: 1:2.2.9-1ubuntu5) and the install failed. After a bit of struggling I worked out that the install fails BY DESIGN. Spoke about this with a few people and we decided it was best to report this issue and request that you redesign the packing so it does not fail. The reason it fails is as follows...

When you install it asks you if you want to use self signed certificates. I have certificates so I said, "No". At the end of the install the script tries to start dovecot. It cannot because the service does not have certificates so it fails. This causes the script to abort and the other packages not to install and breaks the install process. I had to purge dovecot, then install it with the self signed certificates.

So we have 2 issues here. 1. Why allow people to not install certificates if it is just going to break the install and confuse them. 2. Why are you starting the service right after install when dovecot clearly requires manual configuration as part of the setup.

I recommend you resolve this by NOT starting the service as part of the install unless it is an upgrade and the service was already running.

~ Merlin