Installing Debian Wheezy using the latest Kernel from Jessie

Hello all!

I have a chicken and the egg type of a problem here.

I need to install Debian Wheezy on an HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 server with a HP Smart Array P840 Controller.

The controller uses the hpsa.ko kernel module, but the version of this module on the Wheezy kernel does not work (it does not recognized the disks during installation). However the module from the backported kernel 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 works.

I cannot change the initrd.gz file either because compiling the module on the 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel that ships with Wheezy fails.

Is there a way to install Wheezy but use the latest kernel during the installation instead? I can either use a virtual media or a Cobbler PXE server.

I tried to build a custom installer following the instructions at [1] but that failed.

Any help at this point will be greatly appreciated!

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CustomKernel