Re: Jessie sufficiently stable for general use?

On 03/04/2015 09:33 PM, Ken Heard wrote:
> In the next month or so I will have to do a clean OS installation in
> two desktops. Jessie is now frozen (Debian's contribution to retarding
> global warming?); and there are apparently fewer RC bugs at this point
> after the freeze than there were at the same point in time after the
> freezing of previous releases.
>
> I see that RC1 of Jessie is now available.  I would consequently
> appreciate opinions as to whether Jessie is now or will be by mid
> April sufficiently stable for such installations, or should I install
> Wheezy instead and upgrade to Jessie when it is officially declared
> stable?
>
> I would much prefer the one step approach -- install Jessie within two
> months and live with non RC bugs for a while -- to the two step
> approach -- Wheezy now and upgrade to Jessie six months later more or
> less.  Perhaps when I get around to those installations there may be a
> further RC release of Jessie?
>
> Regards, Ken

I've been using Jessie for about 6 months to a year now (as my main OS).
First few months were shaky, getting everything setup and there were
some bugs, but lately its been even more stable than my other laptop
which runs Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

So *IMO*, yes, Jessie is a good option for an everyday desktop.

~Joris