Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

Hello.

I have managed to find a copy of the apparently last properly
functioning grub.cfg file, using the Debian 7.60 LXDE LiveCD file
manager, and have posted a copy of the file, to the GRUB help mailing
list.

The file apparently sits in the Ubuntu installation partition, and it
apparently shows which numbered partition is the Ubuntu installation
partition, and. which numbered partition is/was the Debian 7
installation partition (the file manager of the Debian LiveCD,
apparently does not find the Debian installation partition).

The Debian 7.8.0 installation disk Rescue Mode has, as one of its
screens, the text

"Enter a device you wish to use as your root filesystem....

Device to use as root filesystem:
/dev/sda<x> (list of all such values for the system)

Assmble RAID array
Do not use a root file system
"

I assume that the partition to use as the root filesystem, would be
the partition into which the relevant operating system a nd grub.cfg
file, are installed.

And I have no idea as to what effect, using that, would have, on a
Ubuntu installation.

As the GRUB bootloader that last worked properly, is part of the
Ubuntu installation, and the Ubuntu 14.04 installation iso disk,
apparently does not have an equivalent of the Debian installation iso
disk Rescue Mode, and, as I do not know what result(s) would likely
come from using the Debian Rescue Mode on a Ubuntu installation, I
figure that (hopefully) the GRUB people may be able to solve this
problem, now.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale