Mouse lags after display wakes from sleep

My mouse (Logitech TrackMan Wheel) works fine right after the system
is booted, but if the display (Dell U2713H) goes to sleep, then
afterwards there's a pronounced lag in the mouse's response, which
makes it very difficult to position the cursor.  This problem persists
until I reboot the system.

(Also, the keyboard seems a bit slow as well, but this effect is a lot
subtler, so I'm not 100% sure it is real.)

I don't see this problem at all if I boot into Windows 7 instead of
Debian (same computer, monitor, and mouse).  This rules out some
general defect in the hardware.

I observe the same problem whether I choose Gnome, Xfce4, or OpenBox
when I log in after rebooting.

How can I troubleshoot this problem further?

Thanks in advance!

kj