Re: "upgrade" versus "update".

Joe a écrit :

> 'Upgrade' using apt-get is equivalent to
> 'safe-upgrade' using aptitude, and it means replacing as many packages
> as possible with the latest versions without removing

or installing

> packages other
> than those actually being replaced. 'Dist-upgrade' with apt-get, or
> 'full-upgrade' with aptitude does permit removal of packages.

Or installation of new packages. Both in order to comply with dependency
changes.

> It is
> quite rare for stable to need a removal-type upgrade, as its software
> is frozen in version terms unless a really serious security problem has
> been discovered which cannot be resolved by modifying any current
> packages.

I have never seen a stable or oldstable dist-upgrade remove a package.
However I have seen a few dist-upgrades installing new packages due to
dependencies changes in updated packages. Recently it happened with the
bind9 package update in squeeze-lts.